Monday, May 04, 2009

I have been at a bit of a low ebb the last few weeks and I needed to get and do something about that so I invited Julian and Lesley over for dinner on Saturday night. Thus I needed to go to the market and buy in some tasty bits and pieces and it also necessitated the buying of flowers, a new candle, some fine wine and a few bits of jewellery...mmm not sure how that happened. I also had the good fortune to need to buy some presents so I got to spend money with a purpose and not on me. So in all the retail therapy went a long way towards lifting my mood. Add that to the cooking and the tasting followed by the trip on Sunday and things are looking up. Partner that with book group tonight and upholstery tomorrow night and I am definitely feeling better.


Although I love Jamie Oliver's food it was not my intention to produce a meal that was an ode to him but that is how it turned out. I made his pumpkin soup recipe. Generous in proportions and cost, I am glad we got about 10 plus servings out of it. It tasted delicious and that boy who hate 'punkin', could not get enough of it. Excellent. I coupled this with organic ciabatta fried in dark green olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
Last weekend we lunched at Mediterranean Foods and Nic had lovely flatbread so I popped back and picked up a ball of their dough and we made dukka to sprinkle on it. It was delicious and we have enough dukka to last at least a year or two.

For the main I made stew. I love stew. Again Jamie's ...'Beef Stifado' with fluffy mash potatoes and another Jamie recipe of fennel bulb and fresh tomatoes off our plant backed in wine, garlic and butter. The recipe is on his website.
Lesley and I both made quince desserts. Hers a quince tart and mine a quince and pistachio cake. Both coupled with yoghurt. What a feast. All seasonal and home made. A meal to put a smile on your face.

No comments: