Monday, August 18, 2008

Sport, Culture and Love

I had the pleasure of attending the Royal New Zealand Ballet's Romeo and Juliet on Saturday. I just loved it. I haven't been to the ballet for a few years so this was a treat and my expectations were easily fulfilled. The staging and costumes were terrific and the dancing on the whole was lovely. Being the matinee, the lead dancers were having a cup of tea and a lie down while the understudies flexed their incredible muscles. I thought the choreography was gorgeous and really creative in the telling of a very old and well known tale. I checked out the choreographer Christopher Hampson and found this really interesting article about him and ballet in a UK ballet mag. You might like to read it if you are interested in such things.I went with Marie-Anne who used this opportunity to introduce us to her new man. He is lovely and endured the subtle scrutiny of the family as well as the full on verbal assault from Nicholas. Great to see you friends happy. That is all that matters when push comes to shove.

Added to this cultural and social activity Vanessa's 40th birthday cocktail party and catching the kids animation collection at the film festival. We had a truly lovely weekend topped off with NZ collecting a small raft of medals at the Olympics. Yay

No comments: