Thursday, July 31, 2008

People are sunshine




Everyone in New Zealand is probably feeling like me this week. Soggy and missing the sun. In fact almost depressingly so. It has only been 5 days since the sun shone on my skin but it feels like months. However, yesterday I had a 'sunny' day amidst the drizzle. I know I need people to keep me energised and happy and I work with heaps of people everyday but yesterday I had two opportunities to spend time with new people and I felt fantastic by the time I went to bed.
Firstly, Alex asked me to join her at her BNI (Business Networking International) breakfast meeting at The George. I was a guest and just loved sitting around the big table listening to a group of motivated hardworking people talk about their businesses and enjoy each others company. Thanks to Alex I was injected with a dash of sunshine that made my work day.
In the evening I went to my first upholstery class. I had booked it to give me something to do in the evenings other than sitting on the sofa watching tv. And it was really fun. I took the piano stool along and along with eight other women, I spent the night chatting and removing tacks from my project. Being in the woodwork room where I spent three happy night class years was a bonus.
I am planning to head out in the weekend to find some fabric and buy a few tools. Silly to be excited about that but nothing like learning some new skills and meeting some new people.
In between my injections of new people I managed to clean 500 emails out of my burstingly full in box and had some great emails from friends when I got home. So in all a really good day.
People really are sunshine in the winter so make sure you see lots of them.

No comments: