Monday, November 27, 2006

U2 - SUPERB!!

Home again after another quick trip up to Auckland. This time I went with Alex and Pete to see U2. We had a perfect time. The concert was truely superb. Being the 4th time I have seen them I was not overwhelmed and amazed but I felt that every minute of the rain and wind was worth it. The clouds parted as they started so there was nothing to detract from the gig. The lighting we sensational and of course the political messages intense. What more would you expect? Bono's voice was velvet, beautiful.

Although we were general admission, we managed to sneak in to the stand and just hung out on the stairs for the entire show. Found ourselves next to the NZ music corporate box. Spent most of the show about 30cm away from Scribe(circled in black in the photo below). He loved opening act and enjoyed the first few songs of U2 until someone lit of the doobies and everything went quiet from there. Their dinner smelt nice. Oscar Kightley and Scribe left at some point not to return. Fiona McDonald was animated when she spoke but was contemplative, appreciative and quite for most of the show. She sucked on a bottle of water. Respect. Alex and Pete were behind me and saw all kinds of other stuff that I missed. Made the night even more interesting. We stood where the pink blob is. See how wet everyone is, well that was us too.

When the lights went down before the show lights flickered in the audience and being a 30 year veteran of outdoor concerts I was impressed with the early arrival of the lighters. About 30 seconds later, I realised it was cell phones...people taking photos. So I got mine out and took some too. Got one of Scribes foot. Nikes. I txt'd for poverty and all that. I was so impressed with all the phones further in to the show.

Well worth the wait and the cost and the rain. Having a ball with Alex and Pete was the icing on the cake.

No comments: