Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Just finished reading #17


The other hand - Chris Cleave

Wow, this was a page turner. Loved it and recommend it. Interestingly, the blurb refuses to tell you anything lest the story be ruined for you. I think this is just a marketing ploy to make you read it, luckily the book lives up to the hype. Interestingly the Christchurch City Library catalogue entry for the book gives you the whole story in one hit. I intend not to but a brief flick through the plot wont ruin the story for you. It is about Little Bee a Nigerian refugee and her connection to a middle class English woman called Sarah. I loved Little Bee's narrative and her gentle admonishing of what is upsetting for those with everything compared with those who have nothing. It is horrific in places, funny as anything in others and utterly compelling as the stories unfold. I read it in four days flat and that is fast for me. Put it on your list. I think I would read it again, which is unheard of for me.

2 comments:

. said...

Thanks for that...it's my turn to host book club soon so I get to choose a new title. My strike rate with recommendation's has been great recently, I'll let you know how I go with this one, jus

Sally said...

I hope you like this one. Everyone at my group has so far.This was one of my picks so I always feel relieved when most people like them.Good luck. Cheers